Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

WFC MEETING MINUTES JAN 18, 2012

 

Present: Misty Smith, Helen Clements, Mary Larson, Kristen Burkholder, Barbara Miller, Nicole Sump-Crethar, Michele Seikel, Karen Maguire, Melanie Page

Mary Larson (Chair) called the meeting to order at 12:02 pm

Approval of December Minutes:

  • Helen and Melanie asked a few questions to clarify some points; Helen will make corrections
  • Barbara moved to approve with corrections; Nicole seconded; all approved

Research Awards:

  • Award winners were announced to members at meeting
  • Michele will notify the winners
  • Discussed donations and how much money we have in total
  • Nicole will post award winners and their abstracts on the website
  • Discussed the deadline and how we might want to change it next year
  • Next year application forms should include name of department, impact of research project, summary of project for general audience
  • Reception will be held on February 24th at 3:30 pm in the Willard Living Room
  • Award winners will speak for 2 minutes, no PowerPoint
  • Discussed refreshments for reception

Research Week Speaker:

  • Rebecca Sharpless is scheduled for February 21st at 3:00 pm in the Library Browsing Room
  • A group of WFC members will take Rebecca to either lunch or dinner
  • Discussed putting an ad in the O’Colly about reception
  • Melanie will have flyer created for the reception
  • There will be a book sale and signing after the talk

Report from Faculty Council:

Currently interviewing for the following positions:

  • Dean of Arts & Sciences
  • Dean of Education
  • Dean of Engineering
  • Women’s Studies
  • Assistant Dean of Graduate College

Task Forces include:

  • External Advisory Council
  • ITLE Advisory Council
  • Assessment of Student Learning
  • Evaluation of Teaching
  • General Education
  • Math Curriculum Enhancements
  • Outreach Education
  • Visioning
  • Strategic Plan
  • Improving Retention of Undergraduates with Advising as a sub-group
  • RPT
  • Revenue
  • All Task Forces will be posted on the Faculty Council website if they are not already posted with a list of members
  • OK Corral was discussed

Other Business:

  • Melanie announced that David Cutler will be speaking on the topic of using creativity in the real world on January 27th from 2:30-4
  • Our next meeting will be February 15th at noon in the Library Polycom Room
  • March meeting will be on the 14th at noon – Melanie will try to schedule the Business Polycom Room
  • April meeting will be on the 18th at noon in the Business Polycom Room

Adjourn:

  • Helen moved to adjourn; Nicole seconded; adjourned at 12:50 pm